Starting from April 22nd till April 28th LATO team will visit schools in the southern-central region of Latvia – Zemgale.
This is already the third of altogether five regions of Latvia where NATO information campaign will take place, visiting 10 schools – primary, secondary and boarding schools.
During the visits in the schools of Zemgale the program will be similar as in other regions – at the beginning a special short film “Latvia in NATO – five years” shot by the State Agency of the Ministry of Defence of Latvia “Tēvijas sargs” will be demonstrated (15 min), and later experts from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, National Armed Forces (NAF), LATO, U.S. Embassy and Soros Foundation – Latvia will make presentations about the political and military aspects of NATO, but representatives of the NAF will introduce the audience with the development and everyday life of Latvian NAF:
• On April 22 – Dobeles state gymnasium and Augstkalnes secondary school. Lectors – Ms. Liga Berzina, LATO representative, and Mr. Toms Lepsis, representative of the NAF.
• On April 23 – Zaļenieku vocational secondary school and Vilces primary school. Lectors – Mr. Tamir Waser, Acting deputy Chief on Mission, U.S Embassy and Mr. Toms Lepsis, representative of the NAF.
• On April 24 – Iecavas secondary school and Skaistkalnes secondary school. Lectors– Ms. Liga Berzina, LATO representative, and Mr. Toms Lepsis, representative of the NAF.
• On April 27 – Mazzalves primary school and Neretas secondary school. Lectors– Ms. Liga Berzina, LATO representative, and Mr. Toms Lepsis, representative of the NAF.
• On April 28 – Viesītes secondary school and Biržu primary school/boarding school. Lectors – Lientenant Colonel David Holahan, Defence Attache, U.S. Embassy and Mr. Toms Lepsis, representative of the NAF.
After the lectures representatives of the National Guard will introduce the audience with their actual experience after joining NATO – what has changed, what has not, but some representatives will share their own experience from participation in the international missions. Then both pupils and their teachers will be encouraged to ask questions and participate in the quiz – most active ones will receive practical presents, souvenirs from NATO, LATO, the Ministry of Defence of Latvia and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Latvia. LATO has also prepared both printed and audiovisual information materials about NATO, NAF, security and defence policy issues , which will be presented to the school libraries. Afterwards everybody will be invited to have a look on the military equipment and some un-charged weapons thus illustrating the modernization of Latvian NAF.
The pictures from the campaign are available here