What is LATO?
LATO is a non governmental organization established on March 21, 2000 with the aim to bring together likeminded individuals who want to promote Latvia`s membership in NATO.
NATO is an organization that has successfully maintained freedom and security for its members for over 60 years. It has guaranteed peace and stability in Europe. That is why membership in NATO is the best way of ensuring that democracy and independence prevail in Latvia. NATO increases our well being by providing a stable foundation for economic growth. A secure Latvia is inconceivable without a secure Europe and a secure Europe inconceivable without a secure Latvia.
- to inform the public about NATO and Latvia`s membership in the Alliance
- to organise public informative events about Latvian and Euro-Atlantic security issues
- to promote partnership with other countries with the aim to inform theirn population about Latvia as an active EU and NATO member state
- to lay the foundations for Latvia`s international role as a member of NATO;
- to promote the understanding of the international community about Latvia`s foreign policy aims.
What does LATO do?
- distributes information and encourages discussions on questions relating to Latvia`s defence and security policy;
- encourages research on Latvian and international security issues;
- organizes seminars, lectures, conferences and other events;
- participates in forums on international security policy;
- cooperates with organizations in Latvia and abroad that support the aims of LATO.
How does LATO work?
The Annual General Meeting (AGM) is the highest decision making body of LATO. The members` AGM elects the LATO Board which consists of a Chairman, Deputy Chairman and seven Board members. The Board organizes the activities of LATO between AGMs, approves decisions and reports to the AGM. The Secretary General deals with administrative and other activities.
In 2011 LATO was granted public benefit organization status in the field of civil society development. It is a high appreciation for LATO performance in achieving our goals. Also, it is a way to strengthen and develop our cooperation with corporate partners*.
*According to Law on Enterprise Income Tax, tax shall be reduced for enterprises by 85 per cent of amounts donated to societies and foundations registered in the Republic of Latvia, to which the public benefit organisation status has been granted. The total tax rebate may not exceed 20 per cent of the total amount of tax.